Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Facebook Flair

I've found a new thing to be hooked on: Flair! I loved Flair as soon as I saw it, but when I found out you could make your own Flair... Wow! Giving me a new art tool is like putting a kid in a candy store! For those of you who don't use Facebook, or who haven't yet added the Flair application to it... Flair lets you browse through images of buttons (buttons like the ones they give out at political rallies and chili cook-offs and concerts. The ones you can pin onto a blue-jean jacket. There's some pretty cool Flair out there! (There's some pretty stupid Flair, too). Anyone can make it. When I found out you could make your own Flair, I was like a junkie with a new drug. Gimme, gimme, gimme!!! I found myself searching through my photo files, obsessively searching for anything that looked like Flair. I had quite a few nice 'Flairy' bits. I had already designed a bunch of postcards for Southern Muse (my main website). I have added some Southern Flair to the mix. I had some very cool old newspaper images from 1939, where someone had collected clippings of the Atlanta premiere of Gone With the Wind. It was a special section of photogravures. There were nice, old sepia-toned photos of Clark Gable and Scarlett O'Hara. There was one of Margaret Mitchell at a press conference, in front of the WAGA and WSM microphones. There was a great little photo of Butterfly McQueen (Prissy). There was also a section called "World Events of 1939," now a nice bit of history. The World War II pictures didn't shrink well, though. (Flair is pretty small ~ and seems even smaller when you start trying to squeeze those images in there.) I also have my paintings, and I enjoy seeing them as Flair. I just pick out certain details or focal points. I would say this is the beginning of a fantastic career, except... well, Flair is free. You get Flair points ~ good for sending; but it doesn't do you much good if you make a lot of Flair. You don't want to overburden your friends. I'll be over my new toy in a week or so. But in the meantime, there'll be lots of good Flair out there from Southern Muse!

1 comment:

Susan Tidwell said...

Hi, I also just discovered Flair! I remembered your post and came back to comment. Would love to see the flair you made. I am on Facebook as Susan Tidwell, Ellijay.